Wednesday, September 25, 2019

Generational Differences

Listening to my folks retail stories from when they were kids and teens has me up for a bit. The stories also contain things that would just make me mean, not have the results that they intend.

For example. "Busters" or corporal punishment in school. That's like double dog daring me. Pain has not been a good deter-ant for a very long time for me; probably sense I hit puberty. If pain was capable of stopping my behavior then I would not be walking as well as I am after the motorcycle accident.

One glaring difference in the way I was raised and the retelling of the way my folks were raised is that during the era they were raised "Might makes right" is a re-occurring theme. I have the ability to make you feel pain there fore you must obey me. Where as I see the newer generations asking; what is right?

This ambiguity of what is right and not accepting being told what is right just because someone else is stronger or can cause you pain seems to be causing a lot of issues as well. At the same time; this questioning is needed. At least in my opinion.

No comments:

Post a Comment